Closing remarks

Throughout this blog, I have outlined a diverse range of issues surrounding water and environmental change in Africa. I carefully selected case studies to help me reflect on some of my personal experiences. This in turn helped me to fully engage in the task, with a heightened interest and a unique sense of perspective. Additionally, the process of writing this blog, has opened my eyes to new perceptions and broadened my understanding; encouraging me to consider my own viewpoints, check my own bias and recognise that I’m writing from a position of privilege. Despite having merely scratched the surface, I hope that, at least some of this, resonates with the reader.



Lopé River, Gabon


 

Dealing with the theme

I have tried to convey the broadness of ‘water’, in its many bearings on both nature and society. Whilst I have explored detailed examples, in reality, water is so integrated into all aspects of life, it would be near-impossible to cover the theme comprehensively. Equally, environmental change is an incredibly complex term that encompasses a multitude of phenomena, from local to global scales, and often acts as a catalyst in accentuating other thematic issues. The principal talking point has been the impact of climate change, with regards to increasingly extreme weather across Africa. The continent faces unparalleled (and frankly inequitable) challenges due to global climate change; often contributing little to the problem, but remaining at the greatest risk of repercussions. Ultimately, many issues surrounding water and environmental change in Africa are rooted in inequality and a lack of adaptive capacity.


 

Hope for the future

Africa is frequently misunderstood and understudied. In truth, Africa is full of opportunity; with scope for adaptation, resilience and equality. Contrary to many traditionalist portrayals, Africa is not an amalgamated, baron wasteland, in need of a ‘Hollywood-style’ western hero. It is a massively diverse continent, rich in natural and cultural heritage.

 

So, what is needed?

 

An enriched appreciation for, and an intimate understanding of, Africa’s unique challenges and, essentially, economic and environmental justice. Referring back to my ‘Aid or Accountability’ blog, it is clear that performative compassion is not especially helpful or relevant. Rather, what is necessary is a full appreciation for the shared culpability of wealthy nations (that have profited from environmental exploitation), that results in meaningful, collaborative action. After all, if there’s one thing we should have learnt from the ongoing covid-19 pandemic, it is that humanity is inseparable, both from nature and each other. A global problem such as climate change, cannot be treated with an isolationist fix.

 

Thank you for reading.

Comments